Skip to main content

Being Followers

What does it mean for you to be a follower? Many of us are so ready to be leaders we forget that we must be followers first. Each day as Christians we are faced with the same question and that is, what can I do to be Christ like? I am not afraid to admit that I am not this perfect Christian. I struggle a lot, but it seems that each struggle I have ends up being a lesson. It doesn’t matter how far God seems to me, he is always making himself present in my life. He is there when I am excited about what possibilities are in my life. He is there when I am on my knees crying because of the bad I have been through. I believe each day of our lives no matter what happens good or bad God is working inside of us. Growing up I never understood religion. I mean I understood the concept, but I didn’t really care, I was too busy being a kid. I think even though I wasn’t a Christian as a kid God was working on me to become like his son. I didn’t even realize it. Most of the time we struggle to do what is right. There are plenty of times that we see it as impossible to do the right thing. Many things can happen; it can be fear, being nervous, just not having the will, plenty of times we doubt ourselves. Romans 7:17-21 “As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me.”  Every day is a struggle to be Christ like. How will we ever be able to be like the son of God if we continue to fall down the wrong paths? I believe it in my heart that we can’t always dwell on what we didn’t do or what we did wrong as long as we continue to look forward, and next time we learn from what we have done wrong. When I became a Christian I saw a lot of people falling in front of me, but they would hide it very well. As people we have taken it upon ourselves to pretend like everything is alright when it is really not. I bring this up because when I was learning how to be a Christian I realized that a lot of people hide their true selves. How was I supposed to trust? How was I supposed to love and respect people when they were putting on a front? Here I was struggling and they were too. I think in order to be Christ like we need to be honest and be able to show what is really happening in our lives. We all mess up, we all sin and there is no way around that, so to hide it gave me this idea that these Christians we happy and everything was amazing in their lives. It was a false world they were living in. I thought if I wasn’t like that, how could I ever be a follower of God?
When we see the word follower what comes to mind? Does that mean I will never lead, or maybe you think you will forever be in the back ground? For the past couple of years I didn’t understand what it meant to follow Jesus. I continued to live my regular life thinking I was doing things right. It wasn’t that I did things wrong, but I wasn’t doing what God asked of me. I lived life the way I have been my whole life. I believe this is what happens to a lot of young Christians today. Especially ones like me that didn’t have that Christian Brother or sister to teach them the way. Matthew 28:18-20 “Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”  I can clearly see that we are lacking in the fact that Jesus commands us to go out and disciple, and we are still failing to do that. I am the perfect example of this. When I became a Christian and got baptized I was then thrown to the wolves and the Devil took full advantage of that. The truth is the Devil chewed me up and spit me out. There were so many times were I had nobody to help me. I was wavering in faith and I was scared. How are we supposed to be followers of Christ if we can’t even help the ones we lead to Christian? We can’t just lead them and then leave them. The truth is not everyone has the money or the option to go to Christian college or like I said earlier this month not everyone grew up in a strong Christian home. I think the best thing we can do is to step out of ourselves and reach out to people that are struggling. I hope that one day we can help other Christians to grow and not just be focused on ourselves and what we want in our lives. Since I have been a Christian I did a poor job at being a follower. I can walk around and make excuses about how I didn’t know or I didn’t understand, but I need to take action.
Being a follower of Christ means you are willing to change or transform yourself into something more than your flesh. It means that these earthy treasures won’t be as important in your eyes as they once were. It means you will stop looking at people and secretly judging them in your mind. It means you will show mercy and compassion for ones that are struggling or going through a rough time in their lives. It means to be Christ like. It means to obey what God tells us to do, to go out and disciple others to Christ. I have thought about this passage for days now. Luke 9:23-24 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it.” Every day is a battle to live an amazing life for God. It’s these fears that stop us from loving someone, or are insecurities that hold us back, these weaknesses that knock us down; it’s all of these things that we need to deny in ourselves daily. We need to pick up our cross daily. I understand that there are so many days were we feel like nothing we do is helping or working out for the best, but that is just our flesh wanting some type of satisfaction. I believe being a follower means that we are willing to give up our wants and our desires for the Kingdom. This all starts with the love inside of our hearts. I want to ask; are you just someone that is a talker or are you someone that is willing to give up your personal dreams to pick up your cross and follow Jesus?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End Times?

You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. (Matthew 24:6-8; Mark 13:7-8 NIV).Mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God -- having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. (2 Timothy 3:1-5 NIV). But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. (2 Peter 3:10 NIV). An

Being Happy

Question; if you had one month to live could you truly be happy with your life? Maybe you lost something along the way. Maybe you completely ruined your lives by the choices you made. Honestly, I think we get so caught up with what we have done in our lives that it’s not really as important as we make it out to be. It’s not about boasting about all the accomplishments you have done or your wall of degrees. We feel that we need to be this machine in order to be this sinless person. We live believing that by the works I have done, that is what’s going to get me into heaven. I notice a lot of people in my city that go to help feed the homeless, but they come in and they feed, and then go home. What is wrong with this picture? Jesus sat with the homeless; eat with them, fellowshipped with the homeless. We can’t truly understand or relate with what people have been through unless we get down to their level. I feel like if this is the way people are severing God than it is all wrong. If yo

All I Need

Dropped to his knees, He sits reaching for freedom, Tears fall from his tired eyes. I do believe, I do believe, You are all I need. His already broken heart shatters again. As he reaches for those once empty pieces, They turn into dust… Here he lays begging and pleading, Let me see you’re beauty, Take my hand and lead me, Because I do believe, I do believe, You are all I need. My soul longs for your presence, You can have what is left of it. Mold me into your beauty, Because I do believe, I do believe, All I need is Jesus.