Skip to main content

Being Single

 So we can look around this world and see millions of people matched with someone else, but do we really need that other person? Do we really need friends to hang out with, friends to share our lives with? So many people feel that they need to be with someone because they feel they don’t want to be alone in this world, they can’t imagine a life without a relationship. I honestly believe his is pretty sad, and it brings this sadness into play. I am not saying I am not one of those people, but I have been without people for a long time. Like I have said in earlier posts I have trust issues, and that plays a big part in who I hang around with. After sitting around feeling pity for myself, I realized that I don’t need anyone; I think it’s wrong that we let our feelings rule over us. I am not saying I don’t want the friends that I still have, but it makes no sense to me to rush into another relationship just because I am feeling lonely or that I don’t know what it is like to be single. You see I already have what I need, and that is God. Again I am not saying I don’t want to be in a relationship, or have friends, but I am in the greatest relationship I will ever have in my life and that is with God.1 Corinthians 7:32-35 “I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband. I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.” So does this mean you are supposed to be single the rest of your life? I don’t believe that this is what it means. I believe it is simply stating that your relationship with God needs to be first and that having these distractions like marriage can possibly get in the way of that. If you aren’t doing what is right by God in a relationship than clearly your relationship with Him has fallen apart. In Romans 12:4 Paul uses the concept of the human body to show how Christians should live and work together. Romans 12:4-5 “For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.” So this clearly says that we as humans are connected, and that we should work together. This could be called fellowship. So what if I decided to not be around people in my daily life because believe it or not friends can steer you away from God as well? I mean when I have to I would communicate, help, and work with them. But would it be so wrong for me to lose faith in the people around me, that I would walk away, and just follow Jesus? There are so many times where I just reached out there and got this bad idea of what people are really like. It’s like fishing you put the bate (Heart) on your hook and you throw it out there. Now you don’t really know what you will get maybe you will get this great big fish (A Person that you can trust) or maybe you just get an old tire (Someone that will hurt you). I guess I can really play both points of this it’s good to have people in your life, and it’s good to be single for God. This month I don’t know what I am after. I know in the first month of the year I learned that God works in our lives, and how much God really loves us. I learned that when you lose what you had that every day is a day of renewal. I learned that finding people that care about you and want to hang out with them are hard to find, but I guess I am going to try this whole single thing. In a way it’s kind of like living solely off the land, and if you run into someone you talk but that is about it. God is my friend, he is the one I can share with, he is the one I can laugh with, and cry with. God is the one I can love; He is the one I can trust. God is my everything. Here is to being single this month (without relationships). 1 Corinthians 7:8 “To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single as I am”

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think part of the problem is that we are raised in this world where the idea of singleness is a bad thing -- if you are single, not dating, there is something wrong with you. Even in the church we see it a lot; everyone dating, focusing on how to pick the right girl or guy.

We often tend to forget that sometimes, being single can be a great gift. During my hiatus from dating, I focused on learning what it was really like to fall in love with God and be in a relationship with Him, instead of having a guy in between me and Him. I learned so much and in turn became far more confident in who I was because I knew how God felt about me.

When my first relationship out of that hiatus ended, much to my surprise, I was actually excited to be single. It meant a return to that time with just God and I, and a chance to do the things I wanted to do without having to worry about someone else.

We tend to overlook how important it is to be happy just ourselves before we get into a relationship.

But anyways, getting to the point I am trying to make -- enjoy this time on your own -- use it to grow closer to God, and I would encourage you to ask God to reveal to you who you are in His eyes -- you'll be amazed at how much you come out of this month of singleness with :)
Unknown said…
Yeah, lately every time I mention this singleness to people they think I am falling in a trap, and that I might lose my love for people. Which is wrong because just because I am going to be single doesn't mean I am giving up on falling in love, or having friends. I just realize my relationship with God is very important in my life right now. Thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

The End Times?

You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. (Matthew 24:6-8; Mark 13:7-8 NIV).Mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God -- having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. (2 Timothy 3:1-5 NIV). But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. (2 Peter 3:10 NIV). An

Being Happy

Question; if you had one month to live could you truly be happy with your life? Maybe you lost something along the way. Maybe you completely ruined your lives by the choices you made. Honestly, I think we get so caught up with what we have done in our lives that it’s not really as important as we make it out to be. It’s not about boasting about all the accomplishments you have done or your wall of degrees. We feel that we need to be this machine in order to be this sinless person. We live believing that by the works I have done, that is what’s going to get me into heaven. I notice a lot of people in my city that go to help feed the homeless, but they come in and they feed, and then go home. What is wrong with this picture? Jesus sat with the homeless; eat with them, fellowshipped with the homeless. We can’t truly understand or relate with what people have been through unless we get down to their level. I feel like if this is the way people are severing God than it is all wrong. If yo

All I Need

Dropped to his knees, He sits reaching for freedom, Tears fall from his tired eyes. I do believe, I do believe, You are all I need. His already broken heart shatters again. As he reaches for those once empty pieces, They turn into dust… Here he lays begging and pleading, Let me see you’re beauty, Take my hand and lead me, Because I do believe, I do believe, You are all I need. My soul longs for your presence, You can have what is left of it. Mold me into your beauty, Because I do believe, I do believe, All I need is Jesus.