Skip to main content

Number One God!

How do you know that she is the right one for you, and does God feel the same way? In my experience with dating as a Christian, it is so easy to fall for someone you like, and put them first in your life. I know how to make a girl feel special, I know how to make them laugh, and give them the attention that they deserve. But that’s where the problem lies; I continue to lose sight of God, and making him number one in my life. I think the true problem is that I don’t know how to treat someone I am in love with like they aren’t the center of my life. I don’t know how to put them number two. I have this feeling in my gut that if I don’t focus on them that I might lose them. Trust me God truly knows how to let you know that you’re not putting him first in a relationship. In the middle of this relationship I had this internal struggle with myself, and God was really trying to tell me something, and I just didn’t get it until now that relationship is over. “He is jealous for me, Loves like a hurricane; I am a tree, bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.”  Taken from the words of John Mark McMillan song How He Loves, I believe that this is so true. During my struggle to understand what God was telling me I had a hard time fighting off my own sin. This message that God was trying to tell me or warning me happened at different points during our relationship. I wasn’t as close to the Lord as I once was, and God wanted my full attention. “Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God” (Exodus 34:14). As for the relationship I started to realize that as a Christian she wasn’t holding up her end of the torch, per say. I am not here saying that she wasn’t a good Christian, and didn’t love God. I am saying that certain things changed the way I looked at her…things like praying out loud, or not only reading the Bible, but studying it. At one point she was turned off by the idea of going out and helping people that were less fortune then her and I. I am certainly not saying that she was a bad person. She had, and still does have a lot of love inside of her heart. I guess she was just scared to step outside of her comfort zone, but the Bible teaches us that we need to be strong, and be able to go beyond our comfort zone, and serve him to the fullest. “So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,” (Philippians 2: 1-13). Since our relationship ended I realized that all I needed was Jesus, and I began a new relationship with him. He is now number one in my life. I spend more time reading his word, and praying to him. I Praise him, thank him throughout the day, and I am more joyful in Church. So is there something in your life keeping you from having God fully in your life. Would you consider removing it completely for God, I believe God will do amazing things if you show him that nothing in the world will get in the way with his relationship with you.
I am trying some new types of posting. I will still be posting poetry, but it’s almost a new year, and I wanted to do things differently. Tell me what you think.

Comments

Phineas said…
Why do a lot of Christians feel the need to 'rank' God and the others in their lives? Maybe it's a foreign concept for me because I'm an atheist, but it seems strange that God would need a 'rank.'. God is God and the others in your life a themselves, independent of each other. Your relationship with God is independent of your relationships with women. Doesn't mean you can't be a Christian and date. You can. God isn't so insecure that he needs to be on your mind when your with your girlfriends. So let yourself enjoy the company of these girls. And maybe approach dating as something different than friendship. Remember, the reason for dating girls instead of guys(in your case), is because you want to be more than friends. You want it to be intimate ultimately. Not that that is the only thing, but the distinguishing feature. Let yourself enjoy it. And they just might enjoy you more if they know you're enjoying them.

Popular posts from this blog

The End Times?

You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains. (Matthew 24:6-8; Mark 13:7-8 NIV).Mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God -- having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. (2 Timothy 3:1-5 NIV). But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. (2 Peter 3:10 NIV). An

Being Happy

Question; if you had one month to live could you truly be happy with your life? Maybe you lost something along the way. Maybe you completely ruined your lives by the choices you made. Honestly, I think we get so caught up with what we have done in our lives that it’s not really as important as we make it out to be. It’s not about boasting about all the accomplishments you have done or your wall of degrees. We feel that we need to be this machine in order to be this sinless person. We live believing that by the works I have done, that is what’s going to get me into heaven. I notice a lot of people in my city that go to help feed the homeless, but they come in and they feed, and then go home. What is wrong with this picture? Jesus sat with the homeless; eat with them, fellowshipped with the homeless. We can’t truly understand or relate with what people have been through unless we get down to their level. I feel like if this is the way people are severing God than it is all wrong. If yo

All I Need

Dropped to his knees, He sits reaching for freedom, Tears fall from his tired eyes. I do believe, I do believe, You are all I need. His already broken heart shatters again. As he reaches for those once empty pieces, They turn into dust… Here he lays begging and pleading, Let me see you’re beauty, Take my hand and lead me, Because I do believe, I do believe, You are all I need. My soul longs for your presence, You can have what is left of it. Mold me into your beauty, Because I do believe, I do believe, All I need is Jesus.